I learned it the hard way. If you would like to be informed about some basic things that will make your life convenient in Thailand I recommend that you read this post thoroughly.
#Thailand has lots to offer ranging from calm and relaxing islands to busy life in cities. It is heaven for people who like mixture of relaxing, shopping and clubbing.
Here is a list of things you must know before going to Thailand :
1. Thailand offers #visa_on_arrival for 19 countries for a duration of 15 to 30 days on presenting the confirmed return ticket. Cost of visa is TBH 1000 to 2000 depending on country. I had no return ticket so they charged me with a fine of TBH 200 and gave visa for 15 days.
Read all visa related details here
Visa extension is also possible on additional fee of TBH 1900 at their Immigration office in Bangkok. Process is quite simple but going there takes time.
Timings: 8.30am to 4.30pm | Monday to Friday
How to reach: Taxi is best. Try uber.
What to bring: Money, Passport, Departure card stapled in passport when you got visa on arrival, Passport size photo. Photocopy of passport, departure card and arrival card and a Pen to fill out visa extension form that will be handed offer at Bureau. Address: Office of Immigration Bureau Immigration Division 1, Government Center B Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi Bangkok, Thailand 10210
2. Uber works in Bangkok so remember to put money on your paytm or other wallets. Local taxis charge min TBH 200 no matter how near you have to go and almost all of them refuse to switch their taxi meters on!
3. Never buy swimming costumes before! Thailand has most exotic and economical collection of beachwear. Mostly all things cost TBH300 on wholesale price.
4. Be very careful before booking hotels as many times hotels end up being out in the middle of nowhere. If going to islands make sure you book a hotel with direct entry to the beach. Many claim to have beach access but you might end up paying for sun beds if your hotel has no direct access.
5. If you rent a vehicle (especially Jet Ski) don't forget to take pictures before else you might fall in trap of rental scam. Then they charge you price for the vehicle claiming that it has been destroyed by you. However scooters are easy and best way to travel around beautiful islands of Thailand.
6. Do pack one fair of full length pants, skirts and t-shirts if you wish to visit the temples.
7. There are 7-Eleven stores throughout Thailand. Here you can buy inexpensive prepaid SIM cards just by showing your passport and buy all kinds of things from cosmetics, food, beverages to medicines.
8. It is extremely important to Bargain and buy things in bulk while shopping at Thailand.
When to visit Thailand?
1. High season from November to March : In this peak season weather is cool and dry with lush green landscape. Around Christmas and New year's holidays price are inflated at all beach hotels.
2. Mid Season from April to June : Weather is hot and dry with an average temperature of 30°C. In mid April (13th to 15th) Thailand's traditional new year is celebrated in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya & Phuket where they throw water at willing and unwilling people.
Now you are fully equipped to select the place for your awaited vacation.
3. Low Season from July to October : This is the season of heavy rainfall and some islands are shut down due to stormy weather. Hence best not to visit during this time.
Read more on choosing the best route for you in my blog "Thailand Itinerary - Choose your route"